Once selected as EUREKA Scholars, the students embark upon an academic-year long program of scientific research and educational enrichment guided by individual Faculty Mentors and staff at CSEP. Scholars are provided with an invaluable opportunity to explore their discipline, experience a research environment, and improve their opportunities for future study in their chosen field. Each scholar is mentored by a member of the UCSB faculty, who assists the student in designing a plan of research and enrichment activities fitted to the individual interests and academic goals of the scholar which includes:
- Summer research experience ($4800 stipend)
- Oral and written science communication skills development
- Weekly seminar course with faculty speakers from various departments
- Attendance at professional or scientific society meetings
Must Meet the Following Eligibility Criteria
The EUREKA program is open to any student who meets ALL of the following requirements.
- Applicants must currently be enrolled as a full-time UCSB student and should be in their first year.
- Student must be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident.
- Must be in a Mathematics, Science, or Engineering major. Psychology/Neuroscience ok, but no clinical research.
- Although not a requirement, students who have participated in the Summer Institute in Mathematics and Science (SIMS) are especially encouraged to apply.
- Applicants may not enroll in summer classes during the 8-week program without approval of the program coordinator.
Up to 8 scholarships awards will be given. Interns will participate in the Practice of Science course in Spring quarter in preparation for a 8-week research appointment during the Summer. Scholars will receive a $4800.00 stipend for the program during the summer. Students will give final talks at the end of the summer program and a poster presentation. Applicants will need to identify four faculty whose research field match their interests before they apply for this scholarship, and these names should be included in the application.