Once selected as EUREKA Scholars, the students embark upon an academic-year long program of scientific research and educational enrichment guided by individual Faculty Mentors and staff at the Center for Science and Engineering Parternships (CSEP). Scholars are provided with an invaluable opportunity to explore their discipline, experience a research environment, and improve their opportunities for future study in their chosen field. Each scholar is mentored by a member of the UCSB faculty, who assists the student in designing a plan of research and enrichment activities fitted to the individual interests and academic goals of the scholar which includes:
- Summer research experience ($4800 stipend)
- Oral and written science communication skills development
- Weekly seminar course with faculty speakers from various departments
- Attendance at professional or scientific society meetings
Must Meet the Following Eligibility Criteria
The EUREKA program is open to any student who meets ALL of the following requirements.
- Applicants must currently be enrolled as a full-time UCSB student and should be in their first year.
- Student must be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident.
- Must be in a Mathematics, Science, or Engineering major. Psychology/Neuroscience ok, but no clinical research.
- Although not a requirement, students who have participated in the Summer Institute in Mathematics and Science (SIMS) are especially encouraged to apply.
- Applicants may not enroll in summer classes during the 8-week program without approval of the program coordinator.
Up to 8 scholarships awards will be given. Interns will participate in the Practice of Science course in Spring quarter in preparation for a 8-week research appointment during the Summer. Scholars will receive a $4800.00 stipend for the program during the summer. Students will give final talks at the end of the summer program and a poster presentation. Applicants will need to identify four faculty whose research field match their interests before they apply for this scholarship, and these names should be included in the application.