Once selected as EUREKA interns, the students embark upon an academic-year long program of scientific research and educational enrichment guided by individual Faculty Mentors and staff at CSEP. Interns are provided with an invaluable opportunity to explore, early on, their discipline, experience a research environment, and improve their opportunities for future study in their chosen field. Each intern is mentored by a member of the UCSB faculty, who assists the student in designing a plan of research and enrichment activities fitted to the individual interests and academic goals of the intern which includes:
- Summer research experience ($3500 stipend)
- Oral and written science communication skills development
- Weekly seminar course with faculty speakers from various departments
- Attendance at professional or scientific society meetings
Must Meet the Following Eligibility Criteria
The EUREKA program is open to any student who meets ALL of the following requirements.
- Applicants must currently be enrolled as a full-time UCSB student and should be in their first year.
- Student must be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident.
- Must be in a Mathematics, Science, or Engineering major.
- Minimum 3.3 GPA for consideration.
- Although not a requirement, students who have participated in the Summer Institute in Mathematics and Science (SIMS) are especially encouraged to apply.
Up to 8 internship awards will be given. Interns will participate in the Practice of Science course in Spring quarter in preparation for a 8-week research appointment during the Summer. Interns will receive a $3000.00 stipend for the internship during the summer. Students will give final talks at the end of the summer internship and a poster presentation at an undergraduate research meeting such as the National SACNAS or SCCUR conferences. Applicants will need to identify four faculty whose research field match their interests before they apply for this internship. Samantha Davis can provide assistance and guidance for students. Please contact her if you would like to discuss your interest and devise a strategy for finding a research project and advisor.